"Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God, But only he who sees takes off his shoes, The rest sit 'round it and pluck blackberries."

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Lucky Lilacs

Last Sunday was one of my favorite holidays: Lucky Lilacs! And for all of you out there who have never experienced the joy of Lucky Lilacs, I promise to shed a few tears for you.



This holiday goes back to my Great-Grandpa Rees, who invented it. Using a special pair of magic eyeglasses it is possible to look deep into a "lucky" lilac to find a prize. Of course, lots of effort is involved. For instance, you must find your own lucky lilac... someone cannot find it for you. Also, the lilac cannot have four petals. This is what makes it lucky. And you cannot cheat by pulling off a petal, or finding a flower on one of those sneaky bushes where the petals come in two rows. After finding your petal you must go to my Aunt Becky and spit on it and blow on it and say all sorts of magic words like "Higgely Piggely" or "Hocus Pocus," and then a picture of where your lucky lilac is hidden appears inside the flower. With a few clues, you're off to the races, searching for your very own prize.



Now that I am married, I do not get to find a lucky lilac... tragic!!! But Meg and Ellie were eligible (cue the Cinderella quote, "And I'm so eligible"... yes, we watch that a lot). Meg didn't really care after all. And Ellie didn't understand why a person should spit on a flower. She refused. Still, after finding her magic prize for the first time (her last lucky lilacs we attended was when she was a baby), it all began to sink in.



Said Ellie: "I've always wanted a wand! I've been wishing for one!"






And yes, I know that almost every picture of Ellie has her wearing a princess dress. But really, nothing can be done about that right now!

5 comments:

Rosie said...

I remember luck lilacs. =) that a fun tradition. And way to embrace the princess-obsession phase =)

Bekah said...

That sounds fun. I want to celebrate Lucky lilacs with my fam. I wonder if the boys would participate

Bekah said...

That sounds fun. I want to celebrate Lucky lilacs with my fam. I wonder if the boys would participate

Bekah said...

sorry I don't know how that got posted twice

Annie said...

So, you said because you are a mommy you can't participate, but if I'm a single adult do I get to participate? :)