I have a memory.
It is from when I was little, so it is entirely up for debate as to how much of it is actually true.
(I was going to scan pictures, but I didn't. Surprise, surprise.)
When I was little, I had long hair. Apparently I cried whenever my mother did it, and so when I went into kindergarten, my mother chopped it off.
This is what I remember:
I remember going to the haircut place, I remember it being cut, I remember it being crooked, and I remember them cutting it again to straighten it.
I remember thinking it was sooooooooo short. And I remember whining a lot about it afterwards. I'm pretty sure my mother remembers that part too.
As a mother myself, I have not cut E's hair much, and I have somewhat encouraged her quest for "Rapunzel" hair. But E's hair is pretty sparse, and it grows pretty slow. I knew it was getting to be time for a trim if I wanted it to look at all healthy.
At the same time, I'd debated cutting M's. I haven't cut hers since she was a baby, and it had almost caught up with her sisters. M has thick, somewhat curly hair. Justin loves how it curls in the morning... it reminds me of Medusa hair, snaking around her face with it's little red locks.
Unfortunately/fortunately, for everyone involved, on Tuesday,I had idle hands. Not because there wasn't much to do, but because I didn't much want to do it. (Anybody want to unpack a box.... I'll let you do it for free... anyone, anyone....) So, what did I do instead?
I made E cry, and cut off Justin's pride and joy.


I didn't do too horrible of a job. Luckily M's hair is curly, so it doesn't show much if I cut it crooked. And as for her E, her hair is thin enough I could do it all in one continuous cut around her head.
I had convinced her I was only 'trimming' it, and when I was finished, she cried. She'd heard my Mom say I might cut out the curl in M's hair when she was visiting, and she was sure her hair would never curl again. (Don't worry, I'm not completely evil. I let her wear it 'down' more, now that it can't get in knots, and she's quickly deciding short might be better than long.) She is starting to forgive me.
These first pictures make M's hair look a little bit like a mushroom, it's calmed down since then. She didn't care AT ALL that I was cutting her hair. Justin, however, still tells me often (in Spanish, so the girls can't hearhim) that he can't believe it's gone.


I'm sure I'll be hearing about it from them one of these days.
3 comments:
Cute girls! Meg looks like she could fit right in in the 1920s!
Oh Jamie, your memory sounds so much like my experience in the 1st grade- I too got a super short hair cut. In fact, boys at school teased me for wearing pink shoes and said "Boys don't wear pink shoes!". Little did they know I was not a boy.
I have trouble cutting my kids hair (and my own hair!) I think from this experience.
Looks like you did a great job though with the shears. Both of their hairdos look very cute!
I love Meg's hair. They are both so beautiful
Post a Comment