"Earth's crammed with heaven, And every common bush afire with God, But only he who sees takes off his shoes, The rest sit 'round it and pluck blackberries."

- Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Aurora Leigh

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Getting to Know You, Getting to Know ALL about You

Yesterday, we decided to take our efforts at getting to know Iowa to the next level.

You know, we'd found a few radio stations to put on speed dial. (Actually, only three - there is really weird music here! AND there is no good station for NPR - they need a mountain or two to broadcast from, apparently. I am very sad.) We'd visited a few parks. We'd gone swimming. We'd gotten lost a time or two. (Yes, once I got sooooooooo lost, and there was this guy behind me that I figured was really irritated with me, so I went down a side road, and pulled into a house to turn around. The house just happened to be his, and I just happened to almost run into his car when I was backing out of it. Nice.) Anyway, we'd started to get settled.

So, to put the icing on the cake, I decided I'd take a little ride in the ambulance with GQ while leaving E and M with the local QuickCare receptionist who I'd met all of three minutes ago. What fun!

Don't worry, we are all home now. He hyperventilated, we hyperventilated, everybody hyperventilated, and now.... we are home. Thanks to our new Bishop - a pediatric braniac - they decided to let us leave the PICU (don't even ask me how we got there), and then trundled us out of the regular floor too because - and this is good - he really only had the croup. Which, for the record, I did know, I was just concerned - after Sarah's scare earlier this year - that it was turning into something more. I forgot the important skill of not going to clinics where you don't know the pediatrician and you don't know whether they're given to hyperventilation.

So, now I've joined the ranks of ambulance riders... though I don't much remember the ride (I think it was only 1/2 a block). I also pulled Justin out of a seminar with the man who will hopefully get us a job. I am so cool.

As such, I am sitting home in my pajamas today, glad we are all home and safe, and more than happy to stop learning about Iowa for the moment.

GQ is back to hitting his sisters, stealing their toys, and yelling at me for not picking him up. And we are thankful for everyone who helped us get there, hyperventilation and all.

3 comments:

The Sorensens said...

Glad he's okay. Sorry for the trouble. Ez and I said a prayer for you. Mark and A were in bed.

Love you guys!
C

Jessica and Danny said...

So glad GQ's ok. I was so sad thinking of him as sick as he was, and how scared everyone and the girls must have been

Paula Wood said...

I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW UPSET Grant's Grandma Paula WAS!

I kept thinking of how upset I was at 4 and 5 to spend the three times I did in the hospital and I was SOOO grateful when Grant was able to go home with you!

PRAYERS ARE ANSWERED!!!

Love,
Paula